Friday 4 October 2013

Love / Hate



Oliver Kugler

Kugler has really influenced my work and the way in which I approach my drawings. When finding interest in Adobe Illustrator I often printed out his work and had it beside me as influence to push my digital work to a more professional level and experiment more with blocks of colour. I really like the fact that he mixes reportage illustration with portrait and creates a narrative for the characters included.







Jenny Saville

Jenny Saville has influenced me for many years when working with paint, I find her work fascinating. I love her bold use of colour and thick brush strokes to create a real texture to the flesh in this piece. She really pushes boundaries to create that shock factor within her work and question the concept of beauty. 








Rupert Van Wyk

Again similar to Kugler as a reportage artist Van Wyk has influenced my work in the sense that he reminds me to add as much detail as possible when drawing out a scene and layering things together selecting only certain areas for colour. I think that he cleverly thinks out the composition of his work too and his studies on architecture are lovely.






Tord Boontje

Tord uses paper to create furniture throws, lampshades and things unimaginable. So much precise detail has gone into his pieces they must have taken weeks to complete. I have tried working with paper for 3D designs before so I really appreciate the effort that goes into it. I think all of the designs are beautiful and they remind me to think outside of the box -  the possibility that I can create something amazing out of raw materials.






Lucien Freud

Again simillar to Jenny Saville, Freud inspires me when painting with his study of the human form and portraits. I absolutely love to paint figures and study the human form which has been supported by life drawing lessons throughout the years. I love his choice of colour for the skin tone particularly the greens in this piece as they really set the mood. His brush strokes show movement within the flesh and in particular the attention to detail when creating wrinkles in the face is fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment