Friday 13 November 2015

Written - Cop tutorial feedback

Had a really positive tutorial with some constructive feedback about the structuring of my dissertation. I have been told to add more of an introduction to each chapter, as they should act like essays on their own. Some more notes :

  • Put how I changed the structure of my essay onto my blog (moved the chapters around) and why
  • Vance Packard - THEORIST to put at the end of the first chapter to link into the second nicely. He looks at 8 psychological techniques advertisers use. Vance Packard - Hidden persuaders. Looking at advertisement as a persuasive mechanism, therefore they use this to effect us etc. Marketing hidden needs so looking at how we need advertisement to complete ourselves. How men need power etc.
  • Talk about the male gaze as it is a psychological attachment technique
  • The bibliography, a good one, is 3 pages long with a breadth of books, websites, articles, theorists. 
  • I am not using too man y quotes it's good to include a lot but any big ones need to be analysed in detail afterwards which will justif y them being so long
  • Have one main theorist and then cite lots more randomly
  • Use one book to analyse something in greater detail in the case study 
  • I need more triangulation. So for example Smith (2007), Jones (1987) and Wright (2000) all argue that…. this way it shows I am looking at a breadth of books but also ensures I don't use lots of quotes. 
  • Can summarise a quote within a sentence
  • Turnitin deadline 23rd November the first 2 chapters need to be completed for that, with a bibliography for exactly what has been included within those two chapters
  • Full draft to be done for christmas 
  • He answered my question about how to cite a quote properly at the end of it. You write (Gauntlett 1997:152) 
Overall he said it was a big thumbs up and I was bang on track for having a good draft done for Christmas so I am pleased. He also said it looks like a dissertation, so the structure works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment