Thursday 15 October 2015

Practical - Title - homing it down

I decided from my dissertation that the area I am most interested in is how advertisement uses gender unncessarily within products. 
I think this gives me a good start with practical ideas. - synthesis

PRACTICAL

Brainstorming so far I am thinking I could produce a product based on this and market it in a humorous way. In terms of marketing I could mock up a website, the logo, packaging, displays, window displays, aisle displays, leaflets and posters, an advertisement online such as a youtube clip. 
I looked at #femininemasculinity on twitter for inspiration of this. These are mens products that use gender and exaggerate it. 
I think it would be interesting to do a mens product because men get a lot of stick from feminism that is an attack on them, whereas if we support them and push equality instead I think this is a stronger message in todays society. 


I'm not sure how to go about it whether to do a product that is usually aimed at females from a male perspective, or create a product that is exaggerated to be masculine, or to create a product that is gender neutral and emphasise it being for BOTH. For example a skin care product, under the aisle of 'for anyone who has skin' that kind of thing. Shampoo for 'anyone with hair' or razors for 'anyone who's hairy' because at the end of the day they all serve the same purpose. 

I would like a really sarchastic marketing approach. I have this voice in my head of how it would be worded : 

For example toothpaste.. You sir, you over there, you look like a guy with teeth, would you like to brush them like a real man? Try our Dentaldude specifically designed for bla bla.. 
And the packaging would be strictly male. The flavours would be masculine and musk. Obviously it is ridiculous because everybody has teeth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment