Wednesday 13 January 2016

Practical - Looking back, have I achieved what I set out to do?

When I look at my first post for this module and the aims I had I think it is really interesting to see how much I have learnt about the subjects, and I am able to answer each question I set out to find out about.

My idea is to look at gender biased advertisements. I think this will extend on nicely from Cop2 looking at gender equality. I would like to look at how gender influences selling products through sex, sexism, and bias. I want to consider the effect that this has on modern culture and gender equality. 

A few questions to consider :
Is this still occuring? 
What is more popular sexist advertisement or gender neutral? 
How could we advertise gender specific products without using gender? 
Why are certain products gender specific?
What lies behind the companies choice to be sexist? 
Morals of the celebrities being the face of these products


Yes it's still occurring, sexist advertisement is unfortunately more popular, we could advertise these products without gender but it is more successful to use it. They are gender specific because of marketing segmentation i.e making more money off the same product. There are many reasons why companies chose these techniques but the core is that consumers have a need for it somehow and it makes them money. With regards to the morals of the celebrities though, I am not too sure yet. 

What is also interesting is how all along I knew I wanted to play with this idea and turn it on it's head a little bit, make something humorous. I knew I wanted a product that was going to be exaggerated, that was going to mock these techniques and I believe I have achieved that. Quite early on I decided on toothpaste. Usually in other modules I come up with the idea first, then the actual product comes last. The good thing about this module was that I knew I wanted to do toothpaste and so it was a case of becoming a toothpaste master, learning nets, learning what goes on toothpaste and learning how to market it. That really benefitted me I think and is something I will certainly take away in the future which is to decide on the outcome first and then become a master of it because its enabled me to create something much more professional than I would if i decided oh lets do a box last minute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment