Monday 4 January 2016

practical - molar net development

Colour scheme

I decided for both of the boxes, after a group crit, that they needed to tie together somehow. I felt I would do this with the colour. If i kept the boxes black and white, then the focus would be on the style of them individually and the pattern, tone, and choice of text used. I think this is really important. Colour is a huge factor of advertisement and influences an audience a lot, and if you strip that away it is simply the design that influences people which is what I want to focus on - how do I make my design funny? How do I over exaggerate it to be really feminine and really masculine? Black & white it is. 
This would be a challenge for me. 

I started off by drawing up some banners and shapes that I liked from the barbershop posters I'd been looking at. Things that I felt the logo would look nice within. 

I really liked this design I thought it suited the feel I was going for really well
I put my logo within it and tried out different fonts 


I liked this calligraphic text against the rest that were quite bold I thought it went nice but I wasn't sure if it was going to be masculine enough



I tried out a few different fonts for this and played around with the layout





When I put my design onto the net, something wasn't quite working but I couldn't figure out what. I thought perhaps it needed some sort of background so I started drawing up some pinstripes. 



This was very time consuming and I couldn't get them all the same width.


When I printed out the box, I knew something still wasn't right but I decided to ask my peers what it was. They said that I needed to utilise the shape of the box, I had so much empty space with a logo just slap bang in the middle of it and that the design wasn't working. 





So it was back to the drawing board. I drew influence from these old toothpaste designs



It needed to be more horizontal. I had to take my logo which was now curved and straighten it up along the box






I then added a grey background to make it look a slightly older. I played around with different fonts because I noticed that Colgate include lots of different sized and weights of fonts. The grey background allowed me to add white to make certain sections pop too. 

For the language, I wanted it to be sarcastic and really humorous. Within my dissertation I looked at how men are sold into a product that stresses the functions of it, so men know exactly what they're buying into. They know the products main ingredients and mechanisms, and everything is straight to the point; so I wanted to include this within my text. synthesis

I used repetition in certain areas to stress exactly what the product does borne also from my dissertation research. And the slogan 'does what it says on the box' even though this is the box of the product. I thought it was playful and would leave men searching to find out what it does. synthesis


I researched into what other toothpaste boxes included information wise for the back of the box and decided to play with that too, changing some of the ingredients. With the warning section about eating more than the recommended dose I decided to play with that and say 'stop being a little pussy' because men are expected to be masculine and 'man up' in certain situations. 



Throughout this whole process I kept printing the net out on paper and cutting it putting it together to see where I needed to edit certain parts and whether it worked. I noticed that I had put certain things the wrong way round on the net and when it printed things were upside down it didn't flow well so I had to re-arrange some sides. 



I think this one worked much better than the first attempt and my peers agreed, it was looking more like toothpaste. 







I decided I wanted to add some illustration to the box as it all seemed very stiff and so I used an earlier sketch I had produced of a fist clutching a toothbrush as if it was holding up a weight or fist pumping for greatness. I added this to the whiter section of the box so that it would stand out  more. 






The 'real' printed out very pixelated so I decided to change it 


I think tho worked much better and stood out more, the fact it is mostly black worked well against the other colours too.


A PROBLEM
After showing one of my peers they were impressed with the net but picked up on the fact that I had only drew 3 fingers on the hand!!! It had been a long day...







No comments:

Post a Comment