Wednesday 6 January 2016

Practical - Poster - femitooth

Contextual References

I was really struggling to come up with an idea for this one, because I never seem to create 'feminine' delicate work, so I don't know how to promote it properly either. I looked at some perfume ads for influence because they often use floral patterns to represent the perfume petals. I found some that I thought worked well because they were just plain and simple, and I decided to try create something really simple myself as this may have the  most impact against quite a busy design on the box. I would still need to incorporate flowers somehow, but not as 'in your face'. I was really tempted to add colour and just add colour to my nets because it was such a challenge not to, but I stuck with black and white.






I started off playing around with how I could make a shape with the flowers 


As they were still pretty bold I changed the opacity so that the text would stand out on top of it. 
I tried different background colours and thought I did quite like this grey I think white was more effective. 


Compared to the male poster this one was to have hardly any text on it, but I still had to show what the product actually is, so I thought perhaps I would include the 'toothpaste for her' somewhere. It was too light to put inside the circle so it would have to be elsewhere on the page. I really battled with this though, it just wasn't working compositionally. I added a slogan at the top to try balance it out, but still something wasn't right. 


I thought of perhaps adding one of the flowers really faded in the background too which was nice behind the text but just didn't work well for a poster.


Played around with the size of the circle and the text… still wasn't happy, it didn't say advertisement to me, looked more like a logo. 

THE PROBLEM
The circle has no relevance to the product, no relevance to anything really I just thought it looked good. Perhaps that was the problem

I went back to the drawing board by including the original floral design to make it busier and played around with how I could arrange the text within that. 



I was getting really frustrated by this point. Why couldn't I make a poster? I decided to go back again and look at contextual references to try get some influence. 

I really liked the idea of using floral photography around the product. However, as I hadn't included a product shot in the male poster I felt that I couldn't really include it on this one, but I could use the logo?




I started to collage in some grey and white roses around the logo 


I then layered them all along the centre of the page so that it wasn't completely busy and filled the page, but it had a focal point. I added a rectangle breaking up the flowers for the logo to exist in. 
I tried out some different colours for this.



It still wasn't working, so I decided that perhaps it was the logo being in the centre, and that instead I should include an anecdote and let the logo exist elsewhere. I tried this and really liked it  :


For me, it was beginning to look more like a poster. More of an advertisement. But the slogan wasn't quite right. 






It was all 'too' feminine and it wasn't funny, I didn't think people would get my whole point. I am trying to mock these types of advertisement, I am mocking gender biased advertisement, so I need to continue to mock it somehow. 

And voila : 




It's crude, its offensive, but it mocks these kind of ads which is what I wanted to do. 
I did realise though when I was in print, that I'd wrote the wrong flavour down. Ginger and Cinnamon? No idea where that came from. It's Cinnamon & Peppermint.. So I had to change it last minute! 





Stock

Wasn't sure which paper to print on because I thought with toothpaste being something that's liquidised and it is a feminine advertisement then perhaps it should be on glossy, but when I asked my peers they said matte. I decided to just go with glossy and one matte to see which worked best. When printed, glossy works best for the context and when I asked my peers again they agreed - follow your instincts!








No comments:

Post a Comment