Wednesday 13 January 2016

Time management

The problems with me
  • I research too much
  • I write down far too many quotes
  • I have too many ideas
  • I get carried away with one idea and forget about the rest
  • I don't like doing development work
  • I don't like using a sketchbook
  • I prefer to work digitally
  • I'd often rather write than draw (am I on the wrong course?)
  • I am a procrastinator
How I overcome these problems
  • I tell myself to stop researching and pick a certain factor I can home in on more
  • I still wrote down a lot of quotes cause I think this is good but it allowed me to then go back through and be selective about which ones were relevant
  • I TRY to home down my ideas, or ask people which are the best ones
  • Maybe getting carried away with one idea is a good thing, as long as you become a master of it
  • I have tried different techniques within the module to stand as development work and experimentation for example collage, ink, hand generated type, experimentation of font, nets, photoshop experiments etc. Usually I always draw in fine liner scan it in and digitally paint it, this module was very different for me, it was much more practical
  • I still worked digitally, but I also tried some hand generated stuff which I actually enjoyed
  • I think writing is good to get your ideas down but for me I like to play around and learn from my mistakes which I done a lot of with regards to the designs of the boxes. 
  • I had to have a motivational speech moment with myself a few times and tell myself to just get on with it. Especially with my dissertation - literally lock myself in a room for a full day with treats and pro plus and JUST DO IT!! 

In regards to my dissertation I think I managed myself very well. However, at the time I felt I didn't have enough time to research and this was because I didn't give myself the summer to do this (very honest of me) but I hadn't come up with my question yet so I didn't know which area I was going to go down. I think if I had my title before summer it would have given me a better understanding of how to narrow down my research. I didn't want to leave things last minute so I've never felt panicked about my dissertation I think each time I had a tutorial I was prepared and had done the work at task. I think that this has allowed for me to focus a lot of time onto my practical which I am pleased about. 

At one point I was prioritising my dissertation over my practical and when Richard would ask how the practical was going I was like yeah… it's…going… but really I knew I was putting it to the back burner because at the time I was quite indulged with what I was learning and becoming passionate about it so all I wanted to do was write. 

For my practical I think I definitely should have allowed myself more time to play at the start, experiment with more media and thumbnail ideas, get different ideas other than toothpaste and look at how I could have potentially expanded the brands. 

RUNNING OUT OF TIME
In the end I didn't leave a lot of time to print the nets so I couldn't experiment more with stock which I was quite sad about I wanted to print them on glossy card but I ran out of time. JUST GIVE ME ANOTHER WEEK!? I also ran out of time to print the posters bigger to get a better idea of the context they would be in. 

Overall though, I am quite pleased with how I have managed things there have been no breakdowns, I think I have done a lot in the time given and I have done what I set out to do, there's nothing in my proposal that I haven't at least gave a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment