Thursday 7 January 2016

Overall thoughts

How do I feel I've done overall.


I'm knackered. I think I have done what I set out to do though, everything I proposed I have produced! Which is good considering I thought I was being too adventurous at first with the time frame. I think my time management has been good because I stayed behind an extra week after we broke up for christmas which really helped. The studios were quiet and I wasn't distracted I could just get my head down and this allowed me to focus on the fonts for both pieces which was the foundation I built off.

I chilled out over Christmas after that I won't lie, but coming back I was ready to roll. I scanned in all of my patterns all of my fonts and put my nets together within the first day. From that I could really get to grips with what a toothpaste box includes, what goes where, what stock was I going to print on, how do I glue it together etc. I printed my boxes and then organised for them to be photographed. I think just physically making a product for me was challenging but really rewarding in the end because I HATE nets, I hate cutting and sticking things together I end up glueing my fingers together, but I did it. As product is something I want to get my head around more in the future, especially humorous ones, this was a great opportunity for me to explore that.

Expanding on that was how to market the product. I had to think like a graphic designer.. That was tough. I had to be neat, which I'm not. Things had to be done to a professional level - for example the photographs had to look really professional to be able to be mocked up on a website so I had to it and edit them, crop them and edit the lighting. This was all new to me as well and was rewarding when it was completed.
I have spent more time in digital print waiting in the drop in queue than I have in the studios, which is also new to me.

Overall it's been nice to think outside of the box - wheyyy see what I did there?! In terms of having an idea, making it funny, making it into a design, making that into a product, then translating that across into advertisement and how far you can push it. I have loved and hated this module I think making the nets has been really tedious and I am not so happy with the boxes as an outcome I can pick ALOT of faults with them but the whole process has been a learning curve. I have loved the project on a whole though and the message that I am delivering in is something I am passionate about and have became increasingly passionate about in my dissertation so it's nice to see it translated across into practical work.

I think there is definitely a link between my practical and dissertation, in my eyes there is a clear sense of synthesis you can see different factors i've explored in my dissertation explored in the practical such as fonts, colours, patterns, marketing, language, sexism, persuasion etc. I tried to use what I had learnt to make something really exaggerated and humorous and I think I have done this. I could have pushed it further on the humour front I think especially with the male product I could have been a little more crude but the whole 'barbershop' feel is mocking lad cultures today so I felt that was enough. - synthesis

If I done the project again I think I'd be more experimental with my posters in terms of scale and content, I'd make my own textures, and I would put my boxes together more professionally. I would spend longer on the net designs than just creating them after christmas I didn't leave myself enough time for this. However, I am happy with my mock ups and the web design that was also new to me and not something I would change. To expand it further I would have proposed more products for each brand and I perhaps would have contacted certain stores like Boots to get their feedback on how they think the product would sell in their store.

No comments:

Post a Comment